A city chick trying to keep her creative side alive! "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." - Pablo Picasso

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Side Trip: Beerocks

So with Cyclocross season here, Patrick is begging me to make Beerocks. He had them once, homemade by my Grandma Mildred, and he can't get them off his mind. So, on this rainy Saturday, I got to work.

I found this recipe on Cooks.com. I modified it a bit... but I'll tell you how in a minute. First, the recipe:

FILLING:
1 1/2 lbs. beef
2 c. shredded cabbage
1 env. onion soup mix
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. drained sauerkraut
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. water

DOUGH:
3/4 c. warm water
1 pkg. yeast
1/3 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. mashed potatoes (instant)
1 egg
1/3 c. oil
3 1/2 c. flour

Brown meat. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. In bowl mix water, yeast, salt and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes. Add potatoes (instant mixed with water), egg and oil. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add 1 1/2 cup flour and beat a medium speed for 2 minutes, with wooden spoon. Stir in 1 1/2 cup flour, until dough is stiff. Put on floured board. Knead 5 minutes. Divide in half. Roll to 18 inches. Cut into squares. Put on spoonfuls of mixture and seal. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Here's my modifications -
FILLING:
Lean Ground Turkey (Instead of Beef - I might also try soy meat later)
+1 onion
- water (I forgot to add it... but the onion added some needed moisture)
DOUGH:
1/8 tsp Ginger
Real potatoes, peeled (I didn't have instant... just don't forget to peel them like I did!)

I also allowed the Beerocks to rise for 30 minutes before putting them in the oven. I don't know if it was necessary, but many other recipes said to do that. And this recipe makes far more filling than the dough could handle. So, either double the dough or just freeze the filling for later.

As for the dough... so easy! And definitely sweet enough to use to make other things.

So bottom line... my Beerocks will never be as good as my Grandma Mildred's... but this is a good recipe! Enjoy! (Sigmund wished he could... he drooled the entire time!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google